"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Descriptions

Welcome to the staging ground for new communities! Each proposal has a description in the "Descriptions" category and a body of questions and answers in "Incubator Q&A". You can ask questions (and get answers, we hope!) right away, and start new proposals.

Are you here to participate in a specific proposal? Click on the proposal tag (with the dark outline) to see only posts about that proposal and not all of the others that are in progress. Tags are at the bottom of each post.

Comments on Movies & Literature

Movies & Literature

Pitch

It's one of the most essential topics. A driver for attracting more people and presumably the topics with the largest fan group behind it!

Think of all the Trekkies, StarWars'ler, LOTR, GOT, Firefly, Babylon5, Dragonlance, Marvel, and general cinema enthusiasts, movie lovers and movie scene identifiers, binge watchers and movie quote quizzers and ... do I need to go on? I did not even started with books and literature yet (Animes, Comic, Manga, Graphic Novels, Short Stories, Historical, ...).

There has to be a haven for them.

Scope

• Everything that deals with the consuming, discussion or analysis of existing media
  • All kinds of topics revolving around cinema, movies, books, comics, anime, manga and stuff
  • All kinds of genres from Sci-Fi to RomCom

Not-Scope

• Everything that deals with the self-made creating of media/movies/books/stories etc.

Overlaps

• Not even Writing comes close.
  • SciFi&Fantasy maybe fully (it is also in proposal state)

Who&Where

I wish I could say, they are already here. But without some bulletin-board-sized welcome button on the home screen, nobody will detect this place

Potentially: see pitch section. Basically the whole world with internet access.

Additionals

• I thought about adding Movies&Literature together because of the similar nature of consuming and not creating. But if there is for example a "Quiz" category this might confuse if this is for literature or movies only or both. Ultimately Movies&Literature might need to be split. Thus, advocating in creating them separately from the beginning.

• The Movies&Literature would be a way to integrate SciFi&Fantasy into a broader frame

• Sample Activities:

• Have you seen X? How did you like it?
    • I discovered a book you need to read!
    • Nostalgia request identify old movie pls
    • How did they make the effects in X?
    • What is Cinemascope?
    • Picard or Kirk? Vote now
    • Will there be a new Twilight movie or book?
    • Can Darth Vader breathe underwater?
    • Quizzy! Today: Movies from the 60s.
      • Quote-Quiz: Name that movie from a quote
      • Still-Quiz: Name that movie from a screenshot
    • List of Fantasy-Animes you need to watch

Alternative Names:

• Pop-Culture
  • Media
  • The Reel
History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

3 comment threads

TV too? Theatre? Let's try to find a name that captures fiction in all covered media, without going... (3 comments)
Casual browser (1 comment)
Active user (1 comment)
TV too? Theatre? Let's try to find a name that captures fiction in all covered media, without going...
Monica Cellio‭ wrote about 2 months ago

TV too? Theatre? Let's try to find a name that captures fiction in all covered media, without going down the "movies & tv & books & anime &..." path. For now I'll use the movies-literature tag (singular) for the proposal, and we can rename later if we come up with something better.

Antares‭ wrote about 2 months ago

Sounds good! Finding a "super-title" to cover everything... I have to think about it.

TV is certainly covered in movies as well! shows/series of course also, not only stand-alone-movies.

Theater is not explicitly but certainly implicitly welcome!

This would have to be made clear in the "abstract text"

• Filmatography consumption
  • Filmatography & Literature

At the same time, "movies" is kinda "catchy", and pretty well describes the purpose. It makes me think of fictional movies, documentaries, any other kind of commercially released video, indie production, etc, but not self-made production. "Literature" kinda means that this encompasses all written media, too, not just pictographic ones. On the other hand, "literature" feels more like something I'd be creating myself.