"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Welcome to the staging ground for new communities! Each proposal has a description in the "Descriptions" category and a body of questions and answers in "Incubator Q&A". You can ask questions (and get answers, we hope!) right away, and start new proposals.

Are you here to participate in a specific proposal? Click on the proposal tag (with the dark outline) to see only posts about that proposal and not all of the others that are in progress. Tags are at the bottom of each post.

Comments on Does the Invasive Species proposal have support?

Parent

Does the Invasive Species proposal have support?

+2
−0

Invasive Species was proposed almost a year ago but has no incubator posts. The proposal includes outlines (titles) of sample questions that would be on-topic, but they haven't been developed into full questions yet. Comments question whether this proposal is too specific to support a community, but it's also one of the more fully-developed descriptions we have. Being niche isn't a reason to reject a proposal, but a proposal can't advance without activity.

Are people still interested in this proposal? If so, would interested people develop those sample questions from the proposal -- or other questions -- into full questions in the incubator? Are there blockers that need to be sorted out first?

History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Feedback channel (2 comments)
−0

Sharing information about invasive species is an important issue. I started my town's Invasive Species Committee, and have seen some of these challenges first hand. Lots of people are doing their own thing, with much duplicated learning and discovery out there.

I was hoping to get a site going to address the problem. However, I couldn't get anyone on our own committee very interested in it. It seems most people aren't used to computer forums, and even less Q&A sites.

If we (our town committee) had started using this site, I think we would have been able to get other committees involved too, and it would have spread.

I thought trying to get the site going by spreading the word otherwise beyond our committee was just too hard. I could have mentioned it at a few conferences, but think about how you would explain to someone who doesn't know anything about Codidact how to post a question:

Go to this URL, read the site description, then go to the Q&A category and post a question, but you first have to apply this special "tag" thing, and your post will be in the same pile as questions about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, what a 13th level troll eats for breakfast, what would happen if the sun magically vanished, etc. You have to use this "filter" thing...

That ain't gonna work.

Basically, our incubator system is broken. It makes it nearly impossible to point outside people to a new proposed site and have them use it without a large amount of Codidact knowledge. Effectively, our proposed sites can only grow from within, so any specialized "new" topic that people aren't already here for is never going to work.

After our own committee showed little interest when I described the site, I gave up. It was hard to explain, and I couldn't easily show them. Until our incubator system is fixed so that I can hand out just a URL at conferences and the like, I'm not going to pursue this.

History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

2 comment threads

Instead of pointing people interested in a single community to the whole collection of proposals, you... (3 comments)
I think interest will grow (1 comment)
Instead of pointing people interested in a single community to the whole collection of proposals, you...
Monica Cellio‭ wrote about 1 month ago

Instead of pointing people interested in a single community to the whole collection of proposals, you could give them the tag link. That's not perfect (it would be better to have a filter embedded in a URL, so they'd see the Incubator Q&A category but with just those questions), but I'd need to get developers involved to figure out how to do that.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote about 1 month ago

I added to the guidance that anonymous users see. If you share a link to the proposal, this is now what people will see (before signing in). This is part of site configuration (no code changes required), so please let me know how it can be improved.

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote about 1 month ago

Monica Cellio‭ That's better, but I think still confusing and overwhelming to most people I would point there. At least they see a basic description of the site, but then what? To ask a question, you have to go elsewhere. When you get there you see all noise (from the point of view of someone interested in invasive species). You'll probably wonder if you're in the right place. If you do post, the question will be pushed down the front page by more noise.

Most invasive species people aren't super tech savy. They might be from passable to reasonably proficient computer users, but they will be rapidly overwhelmed and intimidated by all the details of participating in one of our incubator sites. Some may have never used a computer forum before, let alone a Q&A site.