"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Incubator Q&A

Welcome to the staging ground for new communities! Each proposal has a description in the "Descriptions" category and a body of questions and answers in "Incubator Q&A". You can ask questions (and get answers, we hope!) right away, and start new proposals.

Are you here to participate in a specific proposal? Click on the proposal tag (with the dark outline) to see only posts about that proposal and not all of the others that are in progress. Tags are at the bottom of each post.

Comments on How do you test the quality of an ethernet cable?

How do you test the quality of an ethernet cable? Question

+2
−0

How can I confirm that an ethernet cable is free of defects?

I have a bunch of ethernet cables around my house. Some are apparently defective, and cause network problems when used. When these problems happen, they are often intermittent and hard to reproduce or diagnose.

I don't want to blindly throw out all my cable and replace it. This would be a lot of work and cost quite a bit. Some cables might be fine and not need replacement. The new cable I buy might be defective as well. I'd like to have a way to measure the quality and confirm that the old cable is bad and the new cable is better. How can I do this?

History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Patch cables or in-wall cables? (3 comments)
Patch cables or in-wall cables?
Spamalot‭ wrote 5 months ago

My inference is that you are discussing patch cables (male-plug-to-male-plug flexible cables that are not installed in a wall, or at least which are not intended to be.) Do you have any (proper) in wall cables, run on solid wire inside walls from female-jack-to-female jack? Or just a pile of patch cables that you string from place to place?

matthewsnyder‭ wrote 5 months ago

I was not aware that this is significant. Currently, they are male-male. I also wasn't sure if the "patch cable" is something special, or just the regular type of ethernet cable. So it sounds like I have a "pile of patch cables" as you put it.

Do you think this is the issue? If I go to solid wire, that will work better?

Spamalot‭ wrote 5 months ago · edited 5 months ago

Solid wire is only better if it's installed as intended (permanently in (or on, but fixed to) the walls/floors/ceilings, not just strung from place to place and subjected to movement/flexing after installation.) There should never be a plug crimped on solid Ethernet cable. People do it, but it fails, regularly. Fixed cabling should end in a jack, (which might be in a patch panel, or just a wall plate) where patch cables are plugged in to connect to devices.

Patch cables are made with stranded wire as they are intended to be flexed more in use. They are also regarded as an expendable part that is expected to eventually fail in use. When a particular patch cable causes problems in use, it should be (immediately) disposed of, even (actually, especially) if those problems are intermittent. I tend to tie knots in them if a trash can isn't handy so I know which ones are junk.