"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Incubator Q&A

Welcome to the staging ground for new communities! Each proposal has a description in the "Descriptions" category and a body of questions and answers in "Incubator Q&A". You can ask questions (and get answers, we hope!) right away, and start new proposals.

Are you here to participate in a specific proposal? Click on the proposal tag (with the dark outline) to see only posts about that proposal and not all of the others that are in progress. Tags are at the bottom of each post.

Comments on What would be the best way to breathe for a creature that shoots fire from its mouth?

What would be the best way to breathe for a creature that shoots fire from its mouth? Question

+4
−0

I've had an idea where there's this humanoid based life-form that has no real origin other than being found on some remote island. Kind of like skull island and seems be a complete anomaly in the natural world, supposedly being the only one of his kind.

Among his traits is that through complex systems of specialized organs that produce acetylene gas that gets pumped through a valve pipe in his throat with a bone like lighting mechanism to produce fire. Along with this he also has a little organ that is strictly used to produce oxygen that when pushed through another pipe valve in his throat generates a oxy-acetelyne (this is like the fuel for the fire) based stream and can't be used for additional breathing.

The problem while I was designing this creature is while I initially wanted him to have a set of standard nostrils above his mouth like any other life form, it occurred to me one day that the amount of fire and heat he'd be producing would definitely burn a good chunk of oxygen molecules in his path.

So now the problem I'm facing is would he be able to breathe properly with how much heat his fire is producing?

I have a few ideas on how to fix this issue, but that's only if the level of heat he produces actually has negative effects to the air he's breathing.

Now he does travel about from jungles to cities to open plains so I'm barring variables like ashes and embers and such, I'm really just looking to see if I need to fix the way he breathes when he does his fire attacks or if just having standard nostrils will be fine since even though biologically speaking he is an entity that requires suspension of disbelief he's still bound by basic physics.

In short:

• Known world physics
  • Humanoid creature but a one-of-a-kind anomaly
  • Able to create fire from organs
  • What about the breathing process through nostrils?
  • Asking for biological or conceptual inputs
History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

Welcome! (6 comments)
Clarifications on shape, size and heat-resistence (2 comments)
Welcome!
Antares‭ wrote about 1 month ago

Hi Melchizadek, welcome to Codidact:worldbuilding with your first post! I am glad to see you again, mate!

Melchizadek ‭ wrote about 1 month ago

Yeah honestly thanks for the recommendation the site actually walked me through how they want to you kind of do things instead of assuming I know and it looks like the people running this site have the common sense to know that subjects like worldbuilding don't have definitive answer like math or science so subjects these will need a little more flexibility and I'm liking that so far, not a lot of stuff going on but other than that this a pretty nice site

Antares‭ wrote about 1 month ago · edited about 1 month ago

I really like that your experience here seems to be positive. I for one experienced nearly the same stuff as over at SE. Meaning: There is a lot of judgement and voting going on with rather little encouragement for trying out new things.

Your question is the shining light-house here! The first question on the freshly created proposal on founding a Worldbuilding community! I can only encourage you to post more stuff. Every question helps. Tell everyone you know, to do the same. But I cannot guarantee that you will never experience this vicious downvoting and closing stuff here as well. Initially I thought this would be much better here; it is maybe somewhat better. Sad, I know.

Keep on Worldbuilding! :)

Melchizadek ‭ wrote about 1 month ago

Oh yeah no I noticed that too, but at least there's more flexibility

Monica Cellio‭ wrote about 1 month ago

Welcome Melchizadek ‭! There's not a lot of worldbuilding activity yet because the proposal was only made a couple days ago. Please help us build out a body of Q&A (as you've already started) and raise issues about scope, policy, how we should handle X, etc on meta.

Melchizadek ‭ wrote about 1 month ago · edited about 1 month ago

Oh yeah I definitely will and yeah that makes sense, either way I'm liking this site and I think I'll have genuine fun here