"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Incubator Q&A

Welcome to the staging ground for new communities! Each proposal has a description in the "Descriptions" category and a body of questions and answers in "Incubator Q&A". You can ask questions (and get answers, we hope!) right away, and start new proposals.

Are you here to participate in a specific proposal? Click on the proposal tag (with the dark outline) to see only posts about that proposal and not all of the others that are in progress. Tags are at the bottom of each post.

Comments on What would be the best way to breathe for a creature that shoots fire from its mouth?

Parent

What would be the best way to breathe for a creature that shoots fire from its mouth? Question

+4
−0

I've had an idea where there's this humanoid based life-form that has no real origin other than being found on some remote island. Kind of like skull island and seems be a complete anomaly in the natural world, supposedly being the only one of his kind.

Among his traits is that through complex systems of specialized organs that produce acetylene gas that gets pumped through a valve pipe in his throat with a bone like lighting mechanism to produce fire. Along with this he also has a little organ that is strictly used to produce oxygen that when pushed through another pipe valve in his throat generates a oxy-acetelyne (this is like the fuel for the fire) based stream and can't be used for additional breathing.

The problem while I was designing this creature is while I initially wanted him to have a set of standard nostrils above his mouth like any other life form, it occurred to me one day that the amount of fire and heat he'd be producing would definitely burn a good chunk of oxygen molecules in his path.

So now the problem I'm facing is would he be able to breathe properly with how much heat his fire is producing?

I have a few ideas on how to fix this issue, but that's only if the level of heat he produces actually has negative effects to the air he's breathing.

Now he does travel about from jungles to cities to open plains so I'm barring variables like ashes and embers and such, I'm really just looking to see if I need to fix the way he breathes when he does his fire attacks or if just having standard nostrils will be fine since even though biologically speaking he is an entity that requires suspension of disbelief he's still bound by basic physics.

In short:

• Known world physics
  • Humanoid creature but a one-of-a-kind anomaly
  • Able to create fire from organs
  • What about the breathing process through nostrils?
  • Asking for biological or conceptual inputs
History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

Welcome! (6 comments)
Clarifications on shape, size and heat-resistence (2 comments)
−0

I suggest some modes to pick in order to adjust the breathing. Some of which can be combined:

Can just breathe normally: This would solely be based on the assumption that the whole organism is resistant to fire and well adapted so the nose/nostrils, lungs, etc. are also able to withstand high temperatures. In this case the creature would not suffer any restrictions.

Closing the nostrils while fire breathing: This is like if a land dwelling animal dives into water where it cannot breathe. Your creature is supposed to be heat resistant, so it does not take damage from own fire on the outside. Closing the nostrils thus seems to be a sensible way to do in order to protect the lungs from the incoming hot air.

This implies it would not take in air/breathe while using the fire ability. This might be shortening the fire breathing duration in unwanted ways maybe? Therefore:

Creature size and blood storing oxygen: Larger animals living on land but are apt divers (sea lions, manatees, hippos, crocodiles and so on) have the ability to store more oxygen in the blood than an average human can. This is the same principle that enables whales to dive about one or two hours without breathing air (therefore my question about size: The larger the animal the more plausible it gets to store more oxygen).

This could be combined with the "closing nostrils" suggestions, if the lungs are not supposed to be fire resistant.

Fire ignites a little away from the head: To further protect the head and other organs from the hot fire you can modify the organs so they are able to "spray" the fuel out of the mouth essentially. The ignition takes place a little retarded so the actual fire cone is not in touch with any of the body. Maybe this is achieved by splitting the organs in a way that the final mixture of fuel is only created when sprayed outside the body into and coming in contact with the air. "Some" chemical compound can then account for the retarded ignition.

History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Hm ok yeah that makes sense, plus I forgot to mention it in my edit but two other ideas I had other t... (5 comments)
Hm ok yeah that makes sense, plus I forgot to mention it in my edit but two other ideas I had other t...
Melchizadek ‭ wrote about 1 month ago

Hm ok yeah that makes sense, plus I forgot to mention it in my edit but two other ideas I had other than the heat not actually affecting his breathing or at least just holds his breathe. One was where he has extra nostrils on his back to take in oxygen from behind him while he's burning oxygen in front of him which would allow for higher lung capacity but I don't know if that actually would work in terms of physics, the second is that he could also breathe through his skin which in turn would allow for underwater breathing.

Antares‭ wrote about 1 month ago · edited about 1 month ago

If you mean backside of the head, that would probably be complicated. But having them at the torso at the back or the sides (near the lungs that is) this would be plausible. Also near the throat on the neck could be plausible.

But breathing in general is more like a "pumping" (in-out through mouth/nose) not so much a "flow" of air through the lungs (backside in-frontside out or even backside in-backside out while also frontside-out, this seems to be more implausible). So maybe the most plausible approach is if the creature is holding the breath while firing.

I was honestly thinking like somewhere on the upper back like a whale, and yeah I acknowledge it's likely not too plausible but completely impossible, so the question is I that would be necessary or even affective or not, and so far its looking like it's not

trichoplax‭ wrote about 1 month ago

There is precedent for a lung that has a separate entrance and exit, rather than air going in and out through the same end. Mammals have lungs like bellows, with only one opening, but birds have more efficient lungs that take air in through one end, and then pass waste air out through the other end, so there isn't a build up of used air.

In birds both the entrance and exit then join up to the mouth, so the overall system only has only a single opening, but the air passing through the lungs is always in one direction. This makes it seem plausible that a lung could work with an entrance for fresh air on the back of the torso, and waste air being passed out through the mouth. This might allow continuous fire breathing if more air is taken in than is needed for breathing, leaving plenty of surplus oxygen.

Right ok that's interesting and useful too, plus I was thinking that this also helps with greater lung capacity meaning that he can do all sorts of stuff for longer periods of time simply because he can take in more oxygen than any other life form. I'm still tinkering though but that will be useful information