"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Incubator Q&A

Welcome to the staging ground for new communities! Each proposal has a description in the "Descriptions" category and a body of questions and answers in "Incubator Q&A". You can ask questions (and get answers, we hope!) right away, and start new proposals.

Are you here to participate in a specific proposal? Click on the proposal tag (with the dark outline) to see only posts about that proposal and not all of the others that are in progress. Tags are at the bottom of each post.

Comments on What would be a good way to counter someone with supernatural fire powers and close quarter weapons?

Parent

What would be a good way to counter someone with supernatural fire powers and close quarter weapons? Question

+2
−1

Backstory

I had an idea of a large project to breed specialized soldiers who will be used to fight and kill members of a story-specific group known for being super powered. Theses soldiers are bred in a lab from the genes of many of the members of the super-powered group with one being the offspring of a male member who has power over fire.

Technical Information

The lab subject in question (who shall be referred as the "char" for now) has the power to generate and control fire and has physical immunity to fire and intense heat. Now he's usually seen always on fire possibly as an intimidation display (though I may change the reason later on). I'm thinking about adding projectiles that can be fired at high speeds but this is subject to change. He has limited amounts of cybernetics built into him and how much cybernetics augmentations is still up in the air but ultimately all limbs are natural and organic.

His father (who for now shall be deemed as the "target") has the same powers (minus the launching spikes) except for reasons within the story he is stronger and more powerful and uses firearms and explosives. The target is also well known for using breaching tools (fireman axes, sledge hammers, crowbar, etc) as close quarter weapons.

Question Conditions

As I came up with this character one problem I was facing is how he was going to directly counter his target since even though char is immune to fire so is the target. In addition he is physically stronger than the char and will likely resort to his previously mentioned close quarter weapons which will make it difficult for the char to fight the target since he's literally immune to the very exact power he's using.

Now the target is immune to fire and heat but not much else which is where the launching projectiles come in to deal some damage at a range and make it less desirable to fight him at range using guns and char's fire would counter any and all explosives the target uses. But as far as close quarters go I'm pretty stumped on how the char can counter the target using his typical close range weapons like axes and sledgehammers. I've considered giving him claws but I already have a few characters who are armed with such weapons so I want something different with him.

In short:

• Char: fire generation and control (fire breath, always on fire as intimidation), fire&heat resistant, cybernetics implants including spikes that he shoots from his body from his body (close range) (whether this ability is the results of biology or technology is subject to change), could have claws maybe (but not the favored solution)
  • Target: Same as char (but not the projectiles) and additionally: muscularly stronger, using firearms and explosives (long range) and strong melee/close quarter weapons (axes, sledgehammers, crowbars, etc.)

Question: What would be the best way to counter someone with fire powers who uses close quarter weapons?

History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Very confusing (3 comments)
−1

The situation sounds like a "David vs Goliath", "Kevin home alone" or "Die hard" kind of scenario.

Therefore my idea would be that the Char resorts to cunning, dexterity/agility (if shi is faster than the opponent), distraction and deception instead of direct confrontation in close or long range combat.

Here are some tactics & strategies:

• Planning the encounter (location and time), prepare the location

• Planting traps (fire would be great, but not applicable without restrictions here of course)

• deep pits, catapults hurling heavy things, falling cages, nets, rams, presses, spikes, etc.
    • planting auto-cannons, mines
    • hiring mercenaries (more hands and different weapons, e.g. also long range to stall the opponent at one place and maybe direct to the next trap)
    • using drones (to distract and/or attack; depending on availability even something like a Predator missile could be feasible)
    • using vehicles (car to ram for example)
  • Attacking from behind/cover by sneaking or hiding in a certain spot.

• Using improvised weapons to attack or block: For example a steel bar as club or preparing some throwing spear or lance (long spear to impale). Hitting on arms and legs to immobilize opponent and make it harder to wield weapons (broken arm would prevent using long or short range weapons effectively).

• Lure inside a building made from wood. Then setting the place on fire, hoping falling damage will incapacitate or kill the opponent. Combine with setting up spikes and pitfalls maybe.

• Setup impostor figures/targets resembling the Char. Opponent shoots those down and Char can use the moment of surprise to attack from behind or backtracking opponent with lowered guard because of the supposed victory.

• Taunting the opponent (e.g. by shouting, speakers, walkie-talkie), taking quick cover again; using prepared hideouts and shortcuts to change places.

• Wearing out the opponent; making careless, angry and eating up ammo of the long range weapons.

• Blinding the opponent by reflecting sunlight or using a laserpointer etc.

• Maybe still use fire against the opponent in the assumption that this does not damage but will still hamper to a great deal, e.g. aiming (long range) and swinging (short range) or generally "spotting/seeing/locating/searching/moving" would probably be hard(er) to achieve when set on fire. Can also be used as a kind of "flashbang" or "throwing dirt" effect when shooting some flames into the face of the opponent in close range combat.

History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Not a terrible idea but parts of that wouldn't work too well since my idea was that he would go direc... (7 comments)
Not a terrible idea but parts of that wouldn't work too well since my idea was that he would go direc...
Melchizadek ‭ wrote 28 days ago

Not a terrible idea but parts of that wouldn't work too well since my idea was that he would go directly to fight the guy and he has no money since being raised in a lab he has no concept of monetary gain so the idea of hiring mercenaries is out. That said you're definitely onto something since I already put where a couple of other subjects are designed to fight their designated targets in a more tactical approach by either rendering their main powers and weapons choice obsolete and taking advantage to their usual fallback plans, one being the daughter of the engineers of group who once again is weaker than her parents but compensates through using advanced martial skills that they don't have and rendering their weapons and gadgets useless. So maybe setting where this guy focuses on keeping his distance while rendering range weapons obsolete could actually since him fighting his target is a gamble anyways.

(Continue) Plus I can add it where he has built in traps like bear traps or a harpoon gun that he can deploy and use when his target is either distracted or off guard and can use these to slow him down or incapacitate him altogether. Or even put it where the traps are on him and he uses them when his target is close then fires away with his spikes. Plus he's not even a final product anyways since the people in charge of the project had intentions of breeding another subject to possibly replace him but still that he might be good enough to eliminate his target so maybe put where he's incomplete or just a stepping stone. Either I do like some of the ideas you're presenting, I especially the name you're using too, Char, I might use that, if not for this character than at least someone cause that's pretty neat name.

Antares‭ wrote 28 days ago

Neat plotline ideas of yours! Just for clarification: I meant Char as a shorthand for "Character" (=Main Character / Protagonist) but you're welcome to use that as name if you like it, of course! Same for the other ideas, pick or modify what you like and see as useful! :)

Oohh ok that makes sense I thought you meant char as in charred or something but either and yeah no like I said I definitely will take in your input since yeah some of them may not as well but you definitely know what your talking about and definitely had some good ideas especially since part of the idea is that those who aren't on the physical level of the members of the group do rely more of a tactical approach out of necessity so either I appreciate your ideas

Antares‭ wrote 22 days ago

I had another idea to get to "mercenaries" without "hiring them": If there are others on the spot where the encounter between char and target takes place, char could try to have target annoy those, so they fight with char against the target.

Example: There are policemen (you need to replace them maybe with someone else, I do not know enough about your story). Char moves close to them but in a way target cannot see the police. Target shoots at Char, but policemen notice that and intervene, siding with char (unknowingly).

Melchizadek ‭ wrote 22 days ago

Antares‭ hm yeah makes sense since this guy is highly trained and will likely take any advantage he can in order to win this fight, plus there are few thing I didn't mention mostly because it wasn't relevant to the question

1. The test subjects were equipped with a special techno organic device in their brains that allow for direct communication to each other through what is known as the "battle net", sort of like telepathy, so if he's really in a situation where it turns out the target is doing better than expected he can call for help and someone who has some level of immunity to his powers and weapons as well or at least has something to make it so its not something to worry about can step in and help overwhelm the target.
  2. It's a little difficult to get into too many details without just putting practically the whole story here but to summarize he and some other subjects escaped, leaving behind those too indoctrinated to join, and after that those who escaped eventually were..
Melchizadek ‭ wrote 22 days ago

(Continue) convinced to help tear down society as revenge, and Parr of the grand scheme was taking over the criminal underworld and while he's not in charge, being a part of the group, that for now I'll call the pariahs for context, he does at least act as something of an enforcer, so yeah maybe if the called foe it and the larger group found out and sent the target, the char could order those thugs to help in the fight or more than anything slow down the target so not entirely out of the question, plus some other of the pariah include a cyborg who has sound based weaponry and girl with vibration powers as well nigh invulnerability so I those guys weren't busy they could easily help him out The thing us part of the story involves a final confrontation where the pariah end fighting their designated targets, and the char does give his target a hard time, with him only because of circumstance but yeah I like I said your idea isn't out of question entirely